Japanese Anime Studios Sue Singapore Downloaders

I was reading tflops‘s latest blog post and found out about this piece of news.

Here’s a scan I found.

From The Straits Times dated 12th Nov.

For those unfamiliar with the saga, here’s a brief summary. Last May, a dominant local anime distributor decided to play kami-sanma and began sending letters to those who illegally download animes through Bit torrent. To settle the matter out of court, alleged downloaders were asked to pay up to S$3000 in reimbursement. This caused a public uproar where the anime/otaku community stood up to stand for their rights.

Subsequent developments see the High Court stating that identities of downloaders are to be revealed only to the anime studios who holds the copyrights and not the distributor. That was last year.

Seeing this latest turn of events worries me as should the studios win the case, anime studios might use this example and enforce crackdown to the rest of the world or even prompt other rights owners like movies, music and games to follow suit (locally).

Dark times lie ahead…

This entry was posted in Anime. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Japanese Anime Studios Sue Singapore Downloaders

it’s the rise of the galactic studios!

2. yasser anas says:

dark times indeed. I cant imagine how the reaction will be if our worst fear becomes a reality. The Republican Downloader must prevail!!

3. Stifler says:

The return of Xedo. What would humankind do now?

Sorry, dude, won’t be going to for Danny’s workshop tomorrow. I will be in camp tomorrow, lol. Will be heading to AFA through, so we can meet up then. 😀

4. Squee says:

I LOLed @ “Devil may CARE”…. new anime I never heard of?

@ k,
    pretty much the market leaders. 😦

@ yasser anas,
    we need a hero.

@ Stifler,
    sure. AFA is fine too. drop me an e-mail, i give u my number.

@ Squee,
    lol. i never heard of that as well!

This is stupid on so many levels it is not even funny.

7. TP says:

I shall point to this fortress of the Opposition for a light of hope.

8. Shawn says:

@Squee: Whoever wrote that article must’ve confused it with a James Bond novel >_>

woah, I didnt know there is a fortress ^^; thought the war already fades away

10. malzias says:

LoL @ Devil May Care.

Already I see the flames burning on local forums.

11. yumeno says:

Lmao @ Devil May Care.

@ Panther,
    ?

@ TP,
    last line of defense.

@ Shawn,
    which james bond novel?

@ andra,
    sadly, it’s back.

@ malzias,
    yup i saw it too.

@ yumeno,
    it must be a new anime series. must really check it out.

13. Larein says:

Ooh, Devil May Care sounds kind of cool! I think it might be based off a game or something!

Yikes, I wonder how this will all go.

14. Saku says:

How does the local anime distributor find out about the downloaders’ identity ? Does the law in Singapore allow ISPs to disclose personal information to a 3rd party ?

AFAIK, in Canada, our ISPs are not allowed to disclose our personal information even if they are asked to do so by anyone.

15. fabian says:

So suicide is still popular among media companies these days?

Where I live ISPs won’t just hand over their customer’s personal information to anyone unless a judicial decree is forcing them to do so. They’d lose customers if they did.

16. Pingback: Japanese Anime Studios Sue Singapore Downloaders « Gordonator

17. Hynavian says:

With this, more will become streamers instead, or maybe, sign up for Okto MobTV and pay an overpriced rate of having access to that few anime.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Okto or Xedo.

18. pus2meong says:

Odex is a a shitty company. The don’t own exclusive anime right, they only an anime distributor in Singapore.

And how the hell they got the personal data of Internet user anyway…? This is SO ILLEGAL! I would sue my ISP if they reveal my personal data to the third party.

I have sense if the dark side of the force is getting increasing… Oh, better unpack my Lightsaber from the arsenal then.

19. Hangmen says:

The largest overseas market for animes is the American market. Singapore, where the population is relatively small and people outside of the otaku circle still regard animes as “a kid’s cartoon”, is merely a speck of dust in the middle of the sea. Why would these companies be so up in arms about defending their interest in a country that generates very little moolah?

To the Singaporeans, it’s time to forge a stronger alliance with neighbouring otakus and get your daily supply of Vespene Gas from them.

20. Q says:

They can go and try sue the downloaders. It’s not feasible and practical at all.

On a random side note, they’ve got to assume that we will have to watch them, or else what’s the point of releasing the gunpla and other merchandises before the anime DVDs themselves? (Well it’s not a real big deal at all)

@ Larein,
    i hope for the best.

@ Saku,
    an american IP tracking company was hired to do the tracking. one must have official consent from the Courts in order for ISPs to reveal the identities of the downloaders.

@ fabian,
    the distributor in question has already lost support from anime fans. it’s a PR disaster. their lose.

@ Hynavian,
    streaming anime is not against the law i hope. won’t want to see streaming sites being blocked.

@ pus2meong,
    odex claim they are not involved in this recent crackdown. benefit of teh doubt.

@ Hangmen,
    singapore is only a guinea pig for bigger things to come.

@ Q,