Favourite Figure

Asuka turned an innocent young lad into an otaku.

Once upon a time, a young lad was having his holiday in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where he saw the most beautiful thing on display in Times Square. She was Kotokubiya’s 1/7 scale Gothic Lolita Asuka. It was love at first love but regrettably he didn’t get her, the price was too hefty for the chap.

Back home in Singapore one day, the lad chanced upon a shop selling the same figure. He bought it without hesitation. It was fate.

The year was actually 2005, back then the lad wasn’t an otaku, Asuka somehow ignited his passion for figure collecting. The rest was history.

The lad slipped while taking this shot. He said it was worth it.

The figure comes with a ruined staircase as her base but it was omitted in this shoot as the lad felt that she looks better sitting on the rocky steps.

James also did a wonderful photo shoot of the same Asuka figure which you may want to check it out by clicking here. If anyone here has a photo shoot of her as well please let me know. I’ll link you up.

Kotobukiya is going to release Gothic Lolita Rei in October which can be combined with Asuka. Wonder what took them so long to come up with a follow up? Somehow this Rei doesn’t really appeal to me so I won’t be getting her.

Gothic Lolita Asuka is going to be re-release in Nov so those interested may want to take note.

This entry was posted in Figures, Photography. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Favourite Figure

1. James says:

Nice shoots , yes she looks way better sitting on real stairs or rock or … seashell 😀

So it was your first figure too ? cute 😮

Don’t know why Rei is that late either …

Strange that when you slipped you did take a pic at the same time ^^

Thanks for the link and don’t worry , you’re not the only otaku out there 😥

gosh james u sure is fast in coming here. ^^;

3. Stifler says:

SO MOE! I GONNA DIE!

I wonder if KKnM will be bringing this one in. I get the feeling my wallet would get a little thinner if they do.

4. Squee says:

Hmm, I noticed that the color of the lace on her choker is of a different color from the illustration

@Stifler, KKnM had preorders for the Rei some time back.

5. xephfyre says:

ZAAAAANKOKU NA TENSHI NO TEEZE.

Great series, great figure, thumbs up for evangelion!

6. She looks so pretty in that outfit. :3

7. Pyoro says:

well i am no expert on figurines, but doesn’t her hair looks just a bit too big? and there’s something about her expression i can’t really put her finger on, but overall, not digging this one…

ok i admit, i am biased towards asuka in her plug suit. there i said it. *runs off

8. tj han says:

Nice background… but you might want to throw some light on the face, since it’s downward facing and if you notice, a bit darker than the rest of the figure (blackface lol).

You can use a piece of white paper as a reflector for this purpose.

9. tj han says:

Also, interesting donut-shaped bokeh lol. What camera is this?

10. lu-k says:

One of my first figure, and moreover it was a present from my parents ^^;
    A figure I still proudly display among new ones. So gorgeous.

11. chun says:

awww how nice that it was fate! lol I must say the same for some of my purchases ^^;;;;;

12. Blowfish says:

Not a bad choice for a first figure.I especially love the backstory how youve seen her,couldnt afford her and find her years later in a shop around the corner.Talking about fate^^

Im up with you that Rei isnt as appealing as asuka in the goth loli outfit.It fits Asuka imho way more.
    I dont like that stupid hat Rei is wearing >.<

asuka probably feels lonely. you should get rei too!

14. suneo says:

mmm never really got too interested in these figures, but she looks sexy on those steps in your photos lol

15. xJAYMANx says:

A-ha! I’ve got this Gothloli Asuka, a second Gothloli Asuka (resin; standing with camera), the Gothloli Rei (resin; kneeling), plus ordered this Gothloli Rei (in your post)… But have u seen the *red* versions yet? I believe it’s US only.

> 1/7 Asuka Gothic Rouge Ver. (US Ver.)

16. Persocom says:

She is quite beautiful, always love the Gothic Lolita style.

17. Rin says:

Really nice shoot!!!!!!
    I do want this figure now!!!!!!!
    Now wait for the Rei one to come out…

18. Mmmm…tough question. I think perhaps my favourite is my Nendoroid Miku. Favourite PVC is Goth Loli Haruhi. ^_^

@ Stifler,
    are u referring to rei or asuka? btw first time i see asuka being associated with moe. ^^;

@ Squee,
    really? looks the same to me. white?

@ xephfyre,
    lol.

@ Coco the Bean,
    yup i agree.

@ Pyoro
    hair too big?

@ tj han,
    wow never expected u to drop by. it’s an honour. thanks for the tips. am using NIKON COOLPIX P5100.

@ lu-k,
    your parents has good taste. ^^

@ chun,
    yes fate can do strange things sometimes.

@ Blowfish,
    actually it wasn’t years later. couldn’t really remember exactly how long but i think i bought it within a year after seeing her for the first time. and lol @ stupid hat. ^^;

@ k,
    she’s not lonely. she have me. ^^

@ suneo,
    maybe u just haven’t meet the one who will stole your heart away.

@ xJAYMANx,
    never seen the red one before. the original black looks nicer.

@ Persocom,
    yes Gothic Lolita is love.

@ Rin,
    then get u must.

@ ClearTranquil,
    i wonder is there anyone who didn’t have a nendoroid Miku?

20. Raven says:

One of my most favorite anime characters still today. The only one who could rival is Misato from the same series.

21. marvin says:

nice photo shoot. the rocky steps gives a nice touch to it. sure hope I would someday have the same courage to go out and take pictures of my gundams outside as well. ^^

22. otaku dan says:

is she wearing lipstick or is that inside of her mouth?

Cool photos.
    Asuka looks great!!
    It is fate, as you said… ^_^

I like the detail of the figure.

24. Saku says:

Nice short story ^^. It’s a fate.

25. GNdynames says:

Great shots and story, truly you were destined to have her ^^ I bet you cried 😛

btw, I added you on my blogroll

26. Stifler says:

@Squee: While I don’t have anything against Rei in particular (if anything, she’s the best “silent girl” type character around), but the gothic lolita fanship doesn’t seem to suit her like it does for Asuka here.

@Gorden: Was referring to Asuka. And of course she’s moe. Tsundere, nayo.

But man, I hope that KKnM brings the Asuka figurine in. Ahaha.

27. Garion says:

Really nice figure of Asuka in the Gothic loli dress. ^^ She isn’t one of my alltime fave characters tho (I prefer Rei lol).

Slipping seems to be a habit of yours. LOL. 😄

BTW saw ur comments on my LJ – have replied them. 🙂

28. FatB says:

Hi, how’s it goin?

29. tflops says:

You slipped or your hands has it’s own mind that knows how to take pictures of pantsu, anyways, nice shots. Lovely Asuka.

Gordon’s photography skill has really transcended the level of a normal person – taking wondeful shot while slipping ^^;

I never watch evangelion before but dunno why I know all the characters. Somehow my fate with Fate (Alter Fate not that fate) is really similar to yours lol

31. shiro says:

Nice shots! 🙂

32. Kairu says:

Awesome shoot, really nice figure Asuka looks amazing with the whole goth lolita theme clothing ^_^

(adding you to my blogroll by the way ^^ sorry it was not sooner)

33. Pingback: Sexy Sunday Preview « Kairu the Otaku

@ Raven,
    u like misato? i like rei after asuka.

@ marvin,
    c’mon do it. it’s fun. ^^

@ otaku dan,
    lipstick i guess.

@ phossil and Saku,
    thanks. fate indeed. 🙂

@ GNdynames,
    thanks for coming, what is your blog address?

@ Stifler,
    why not check it out with sharon if u really want it? ^^

@ Garion,
    lol. i’m clumsy. ^^;

@ FatB,
    very good, thank you.

@ tflops,
    it’s basic instincts i guess.

@ andra,
    u never watch evangelion before? then u should catch the rebuild of evangelion movie you are (not) alone. it’s a great way to get into the series.

@ shiro,
    thanks. 😀

@ Kairu,
    thanks for adding me. i have done the same too.

35. Akiraman says:

Very nice picture but the price is also too nice for my wallet… I like this version of Asuka compared to the plug suit.

36. optic says:

I like black and the she looks appealing but I better not. lol
    I haven’t even watched Eva yet so I’m not sure if I will like her or not.
    Nice shoot. Real stairs rock!!!

37. GNdynames says:

My blog address is gndynames.wordpress.com. Been busy with moveing into campus and stuff like that.

38. mizunaga says:

*As a guy who has only watched the Eva movies* Rei looks fine in goth-loli outfit. O_O

I agree with tj han though. Her face could’ve used extra lighting. If that doesn’t work, maybe you could’ve taken the shot from a slightly lower angle? I’m no photographer, so my “tips” might not work ^^;

@ Akiraman,
    i wonder why rei is so expensive? maybe it’s because figure companies has to pay royalties to use rei as model.

@ optic,
    another one who haven’t watch eva? watch u must!

@ GNdynames,
    i’ll drop by. ^^;

@ mizunaga,
    shooting at lower angle will get the same result if not worst cos the sunglight is coming from the back and also because asuka’s face is facing down.

40. meronpan says:

mmm she looks really nice outdoors ^_^ very nice shots!

someday i need to find and add an asuka figure to my collection. i’ve got alter’s rei ordered but that’s all i have planned for eva love orz

@optic omg, you haven’t watched eva?! love it or hate it, you must watch it!! it’s an epic classic ^_^

41. Radiant says:

I love this figure. She is indeed one of my favorites. The skin tone is not right though, but it’s still an awesome figure.

My first figure was actually … well, I guess you can read my “epic story” here: http://radiantdreamer.wordpress.com/2008/05/15/my-story/

@ Radiant.
    that’s a touching story. ^^;

43. meimi132 says:

Asuka is so much better than Rei. Soooo much better. Love ta figure btw.

44. lovelyduckie says:

I’m getting that Asuka from Kotobukiya US so she’ll only end up costing about $35! There will be major delays but I’ll always wait to save a buck! I agree the Asuka is a completely superior figure compared to that Rei but I still like the Rei and will be getting them both.