Childhood Toy

This 1978 Casio calculator has been with my family for over 20 years. I remember playing with it when I was kid. I was surprised it is still with us when I saw it in the house recently. Amazingly it still works! ^^;

It runs on two AA batteries with an on/off switch at the side. The display is made up of nine green LEDs which mean you can do calculations in the dark. Aren’t that cool?

If anyone is wondering will playing with the calculator at a young age makes one good with maths. I’m sorry to say it didn’t work for me. I’m terrible at maths. lol.

Apart from this calculator, the other home appliance in my house that deserves a long service medal is our refrigerator. It is also over two decades old and still in working condition. My previous PC was 7 years old when I throw it away early this year.

How about you guys and girls, what is the oldest appliance in your house?

This entry was posted in Personal. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Childhood Toy

1. Abao says:

LOL. Dont you know old casio calculators are the most reliable ones. Those new models dont last as long and has much less functions available >_< The oldest appliance… hmm… there’s a 18 year old fan that’s still working… and that’s about it for electrical appliances I guess… Most spoilt after 10 years

2. Tong says:

my oldest appliance huh, well there’s this refrigerator i have for over a decade… but apart from that nah, we don’t have much stuff lying around the house to begin with.

OH LOL. It’s 20 years old, which means it’s going to be an adult in a year.

To celebrate, give it a name! Casio-san sounds good enough. LOL.

Wow they don’t make things like how they used to for sure ^^; (as in built to last :P)

And sounds like your family take pretty good care of things?
    and by the way puppy52.com is down again (wah!) but managed to see your comment thru my cache LOL I have ideas for a different colour sukumizu too (mwahah) but looks like have to wait a bit =_=; posted on DC tho 😛

5. dannychoo says:

Hey Gordon.
    Sent mail. Just want to make sure things are good and kushty?

6. Lsio says:

there is a 20+ year old fan at my home; the buttons are broken, so it only works in one speed mode. My mom likes to keep thing that is still working even it is old, and I’m thankful for that ^^

7. Anonymous Coward says:

how much is the starting bid! lol!

I remember such a model exist, seem them around when I was younger..

coool! lol!

8. Hynavian says:

My oldest application is actually the toy that I had when I was a kid. It’s a toy modeled after a phone and it has mini wheels. Ah I remember pulling the toy along wherever I go when I was a kid. (:

abao,
    you’re right. the calculator i used in school died on me after a few years. >.< tong,
    welcome to gordonator. ^^;

Mizunaga,
    good idea. casio-san it shall be.

chun,
    yup we sure do. ^^;
    btw sorry to hear your site is down. hope it get back up soon.

danny,
    received and replied. ^^;

lsio,
    i’m kinda like your mum too. as long as it works, it stays. ^^;

Anonymous Coward,
    not for sale. this calculator will be passed down to my children then to my grandchildren and so on. ^^;

Hynavian,
    post it at your blog. i’ll love to see it.

10. FatB says:

My dolphin, and it still works to this day! Takes a lick’in and keeps on tick’in…

11. jusuchin85 says:

wow, i remember using that as well! i used to borrow that from my dad, and do massive calculations. too bad, it got broken over the ages and now it got replaced with a noisy bit of calculator!

the last oldest appliance will be the kitchen stove + oven of 25-30 odd years. the refrigerator of 20 years was replaced a couple of years back (i remember it was a Sanyo…i think ^^); the front loading washing machine was sold just 10 years ago. both the washing machine and stove are by Zanussi.

Stove still going strong, and still cookin’! really useful when i go back home cookin’! ^^

12. ed says:

my mom’s the oldest appliance! no wait, think my dad’s older! whahaha XD

13. ラ-ヤン says:

i think i have tat too…haha

ooh.. young gordon plays with calculator, big gordon plays with figures =X

my sec 1 casio calculator first week went to heaven already =.=;

15. Belela-san says:

Hum electrical devices I only recall a commodore amiga 600 and a Mercedes from 91 oh and a LaserDisc.

jusuchin85,
    your stove deserve the long service medal more than my refrigerator.

FatB,
    do remember to do lots of maintenance to keep it in good shape.

ed,
    LOL!

ryan,
    u have that too? it must be a popular brand in the 70s/80s.

andra,
    mine during my secondary school days lasted 1 or 2 years. wanted to buy the same model outside but was told the model is already outdated. >.< Belela-san,
    but laserdisc is not a device. O_O

17. Stifler says:

lol That thing is even older than I am! Brings back memories of me using a similar model like it.

The oldest thing I have is my cassette tape player. I have no idea if its still works – The thing’s covered in dust. No one has touched it for years.

18. Hangmen says:

I own a 25+ year old solar-powered Casio calculator, and it still works to this day. It was made in Japan, before production of our everyday goods moved to China.

Compare the older models to the newer ones, the oldies have diamond-like durability. The newbies tend to die out in less than 10 years.