Gurren Lagann Spin On!

Shown here is the Kotobukiya Non-scale Gurren Lagann model kit which cost me 3800YEN. The size is similar to a 1/144 scale Gundam. Its kinda expensive compared to a Gundam kit of the same proportion. But I bought it anyway as this is hard to find in Singapore and this is the last one in the store.

This is my first Kotobukiya model kit. The quality of the parts despite its hefty price tag is inferior with contrast to Banbai’s Gundams. Some of the parts don’t fit properly so I have to use super glue to get them to fit. The joint connecting the upper and lower body is loose but I cannot use glue here if not I wouldn’t be able to twist the waist. Some of the parts are very fragile as well and breaks easily. The corners of some parts are very sharp as well. I hate that. >.<

“Who the hell do you think I’m!?”

Ok enough about the negative rants. The good thing is that the colours are pretty accurate. Only a minimum account of painting is needed. Well guess that’s the only good thing there is to this kit. It wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the high price.

These four small drills at the back are very sharp

The drill that pierces the heavens

Using the shades as boomerang. I forgot to remove the one on the chest since he is already holding it in his hand. My bad.

The kit comes with this 15cm paper craft Giga Drill where one must cut, fold, glue and paste yourselves.

Alternatives 1

Konami Great Impact Model Gurren Lagann

Those who want quality and has 18,800YEN to spare then you may want to consider this die-cast Great Impact Model Gurren Lagann by Konami. A review of it can be found here. I love this one the most but it’s probably all sold out by now everywhere.

Alternatives 2

Revoltech Gurren Lagann

Or for those who are broke, you may consider the Revoltech Gurren Lagann for only 1900YEN. Pics here. I like the flexibility and variety of poses it can do.

This entry was posted in Figures. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Gurren Lagann Spin On!

Despite your negative comments on this kit.. it looks good xD
    But that’s probably thanks to you fixing it up well.

2. Squee says:

Gordon: you could try using cement on the loose parts then sand down till they fit.
    nice kit btw, I would have gotten it if it was like 1/100

3. Dancing Queen says:

well this is an awesome post only cause i’ve been debating on whether or not i want this kit or not. I’m pretty picky with gundam type stuff and having to build them myself means i’m going to want quality. I’m just going to try and find the Konami one instead i guess. Other than that love the photo shoot, i would never have guess the giga drill was paper, it looks so great in your shoot!

haha the giga drill breaker photo looks so cool in the beautiful sky 😀

5. Deranged says:

Woah… it looks amazing especially with the giga drill. I would so have gotten some of the Gurren Lagann kits if I wasn’t so poor at the moment…

mizunaga
    thanks, its not hard to make a model kit looks good. all it takes is love and passion.

Squee,
    ya i would have love it to be 1/100 as well. some of the parts are very very small. >.< Dancing Queen,
    thanks. i didn’t knew u were into mecha.

chun,
    it would have look better if the stand isn’t there. only realise it after i got home from the shoot.

deranged,
    u can get the Revoltech Gurren Lagann (coming soon) which is only 1900yen. around S$20++.

7. yumeno says:

Classic mecha.

8. CK says:

Row row, fight da powaa~

yumeno,
    classic? i believe innovative is a better word. the idea of drills, spiral power and mecha having huge face on their body is something new.

ck,
    i love that song too. ^^;

10. yumeno says:

Well, it’d be classic soon.

11. secretzone says:

yoz gordon,
    Its not origami, its known as papercraft 🙂

anyway as usual, great work from you! hope to see more work coming 😀

12. Random Misconception says:

That drill is the drill that will PIERCE THE HEAVENS!

And I think the revoltech one will be just fine for me, I too am in a monetary crisis. XD

yumeno,
    ya maybe u are right.

secretzone,
    welcome back. never see u for so long. must come often ok? ^^

random misconception,
    i look forward to your review then.

14. Random Misconception says:

KKnM getting the Revoltech? 1900 Yen is affodable ^^. But any word on its scale?

I’m not normally a figure collector, but I LOVED Gainax’s work on TTGL, especially Gurren Lagann itself, so this is VERY tempting.

Random Misconception,
    i think u should be able to get the Revoltech at most major anime stores. scale should be 1/9.

16. marvin says:

you can probably use white wood glue on the waist joints if it’s still loose. just leave it on for a day then do a quick twist on the part the next day. works for most of my GFFs

marvin,
    thanks for the tip. a bit of tape works too.

18. MK. TITAN says:

TT honli just released its own copy of that model kit which is much cheaper